Sunday, December 20, 2009

I made soup tonight and even my husband liked it.


I've recorded what I did so that I can repeat it it, which is often difficult with a throw together soup. The entree was apparently one he could take or leave ( I liked it) but desert was also a hit.

Three Sisters Soup


2 cups veg broth
1 cup water or more to reach desired consistency
3 cloves garlic
1/2 onion, chopped
1 small turnip, peeled and sliced
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 cup cooked squash
2 tbsp Bragg's Soy liquid
1/3 cup nutritional yeast

In a large pot, simmer these ingredients until the vegetables are tender. Puree. Remove a little of the broth to a small bowl and stir in a little potato flour ( approx 1/4 cup)

Add cumin, salt, chipotle chili powder to taste.
Add
2 cups frozen corn
1 cup cut green beans
1-2 cups cooked black beans

Simmer until vegetables are tender and flavours blended.

This makes a fairly big batch, probably about ten or twelve servings


Fancy Chocolate Pudding

2 blocks Mori Nu extra firm silken tofu
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 1/2-2 cups chocolate chips, melted ( tonight I used chocolate chips and an espresso/dark chocolate bar)

Blend the tofu and syrup in a food processor until creamy. Add the melted chocolate and blend well, stirring and scraping the sides a few times. while it can be eaten right away, it is nicest refrigerated a couple of hours, in which time the flavours really blend well and the tofu is completely indistinguishable. My non vegan husband attested to this and my tofu phobic son ate a bowlful without even knowing about the tofu.

No comments: